1.19.2013

Closet Visit: Sophie Assa

This is the Closet Visit for Sophie Assa.  Closet Visit is one of my favourite websites.  It never fails to inspire me.  The website interviews the fashionable people of Amercia (mainly LA) about their style, wardrobe and covetable careers.  Here is just one visit of many: Sophie Assa.


Sophie Assa is the owner of True Fashion Art (stylist, consultant, blogger, e-store) who lives in Echo Park. Get ready to have a girl crush!


*update* - She just launched an E Store!

Describe your personal style. 
It all depends on which side of the bed I wake up on! I am probably one of the most versatile people you will ever meet. I love fashion. Like my job, I need to keep it fresh. So one day I am a preppy tom boy, the next a chic sophisticated darling, then a grungy rock child, to a 60's Goddard gal, whatever mood I'm in is reflected in my wardrobe!! I guess you can call me a fashion chameleon.



Who are your favorite designers?
my staples: Celine, Stella McCartney, Lanvin, Burberry, The Row, Alexander Wang and Katherine Hamnett Vintage from the 80s & 90's!!!!!!



What are your favorite places to shop?
I love to shop when I travel. I like to be inspired and excited when I buy clothes. Boutiques like Merci & L'Eclaireur in Paris, Dover Street Market and Start in London, Corso Como & Banner in Milan are some of my favorite places to shop. At home in LA I tend to head over to Opening Ceremony, Mohawk General Store and The Reformation for a quick pick me up. The rest is a secret. haha.



Who are your style icons?
My mum. She taught me everything I know. She worked, I observed. 
Other ladies I adore are; Jean Shripmton, Jane Birkin, Bridget Bardot, Marianna Faithfull, Julie Christie and Eddie Sedgwick



Are there any key pieces you find yourself wearing constantly?
Recently, It's color! Before NYFW in February I realized how dark my wardrobe was so I decided to embrace the color block trend for spring with a giant hug.
That is including nail polish. Im now collecting Chanel's color range, fell in love with the 3 khakis last fall now im obsessed with spring, especially the exclusive Azur!!


What is your most recent purchase?
A reworked vintage cropped baby pink cashmere sweater from The Reformation and Rodarte X Opening Ceremony black suede cowboy boots!!


Do you have any stories about amazing deals you've gotten on awesome pieces?
My mum worked with Katherine Hamnett in the 80s-90s, so when I was growing up the KH office was my play room. As I grew older and became more and more aware of fashion I started to collect my favorite pieces from my mothers closet and put them aside for when I was old enough to wear them! My treasure chest of hand-me-downs has probably been the most exciting and incredible deals I have ever come across. I guard those items with my life.


Can you give us smart shopping advice?
Find the best mirror when trying items on. 
Check colors in day light. 
Don't buy unless you can afford it!!
And if you have to ask anyone's opinion more than once your probably never going to wear it....


Which beauty products do you recommend? 
I swear by a natural skin products like Jurlique, Dr. Hauschka and INA Crystals. I like to switch it up every year so my skin doesn't get too used to it! I tend to use the whole range, I like to stick to the one product at a time method. It also looks nicer in my bathroom if everything matches, im weird like that!


What's the best thing about your job?
Travelling. The people I meet. And the art I get to explore, each job is a completely new experience. 
Oh and of course getting the opportunity to have in my hands some of the hottest items of the season for editorials. The hard part is having to give it back....



5 things you can't live without. 
My apple products... MacBook, Iphone, Ipad, Im a Tech Head Tom Boy.

Avocados

My Vintage Levi's Cut Off Short Shorts

LOVE Magazine

Polaroids, new & old