I have been dying to have a go making the famous Italien biscuit the biscotti. The biscotti is my favourite biscuit: not just because it is super tasty, crunchy and a pretty addition to one's coffee, but also because it is a healthy biscuit- guilt free and fabulous. I finally gave a recipe a go making a few changes as I went to accommodate what I had in the cupboard and what I thought would taste nice. So here is the recipe for my healthy cranberry and almond bran biscotti biscuits. My oh my were they yummy.
1 cup all purpose flour (wholewheat preferable as it contains more fiber and flavour)
3/4 cup crushed bran flakes
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons of skimmed milk
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (you can use canola or any cooking oil but coconut what I used)
3 tablespoons of honey
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
2/3 cup of dried cranberries
1/4 chopped almonds
1) Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2) In a large mixing bowl put the flour, bran flakes and baking powder.
4) Add your wet ingredients to the other bowl of dry ingredients and mix well. You will have a ball of dough in your bowl. Now add your cranberries and almonds and mix further making sure your cranberries and almonds are right in that mix.
5) place your ball of dough onto a large piece of clingfilm and mould into a log. your log should be about 1inch high, 3 inches across and 12 inches long. With the cling film wrap the dough on either side and shape further into a smooth log.
6) Put a baking sheet onto a tray and now put your sticky biscotti dough onto your baking sheet removing and throwing away your clingfilm.
9) With a cerated knife, cut your biscotti into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
10) Place back onto the baking sheet and chuck in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes until toasted, lightly brown and crispy. Leave to cool.