2.19.2013

Closet Visit: Allison Miller


Allison Miller is an actress who lives in Los Angeles. I shot her the day before she left for Australia for 5 months to shoot a new Fox show "Terra Nova". She's one of the stars in the show.


Describe your personal style. 
Classic tomboy vs. Southern lady


Who are your favorite designers?
Rachel Comey, EmersonMade, Wren, Alexander Wang, Margaret Howell, Isabel Marant,  Tibi, Jonathan Saunders, Nadinoo


What are your favorite places to shop?
Madewell, Zara, Steven Alan, Mohawk General Store, flea markets, Etsy


Who are your style icons?
The women in my family, Patsy Pulitzer , Katharine Hepburn, Rose Byrne, Carole Lombard, Patti Smith

Are there any key pieces you find yourself wearing constantly?
Oversized button downs, Zara and AG jeans, a silver Kentucky horseshoe nail necklace that was my mom's, Swedish Hasbeens, and a nearly fanatical amount of stripes. I also regularly steal my fiance's hats.


What is your most recent purchase?
I just had a blowout stripe experience at Zara. I'm getting a little angry with myself.

Do you have any stories about amazing deals you've gotten on awesome pieces?
My friend Alex found this insane 70's sherbet colored cocktail dress for me in Wisconsin for $12. It fits perfectly and comes with a veil. A veil!! I also found some great navy/gray ankle boots at Wasteland that look a lot like the Isabel Marant Dicker boots that I can't find anywhere in my size.



Which beauty products do you recommend? 
Jojoba oil for moisturizer, Dr. Bronners for my bod (yeah, my bod), and Bare Minerals make up. I really like Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil for split ends. Revlon makes a red lipstick I've been using since I first wore it in a high school production of 42nd Street!



Can you give us smart shopping advice?
I like to visit clothes. If you see something I love, don't buy it immediately. Give yourself a week to see if you can't live without it. That way you don't give in to any fast fading trends and if it vanishes from the store, you can usually track it down online. That said, I go absolutely crazy at sample sales and I don't think there's anything wrong with that!



What's the best thing about your job?
I joke that it's taking home the wardrobe afterwards, but being an actor is my dream job. I'm so grateful it verges on the absurd. Traveling, working in a supportive community of artists, creating new lives and storytelling...it's the tops. Oh, and free haircuts! 



5 things you can't live without. 
Family&friends, Adam (my fiance), black coffee, Thelonius (my dog), and the kind of laughter that makes it hard to stand up.